Monday, July 18, 2011

End of Week/Question 5

Eric (the engineer I've been working with) had a meeting with the CEO about projects that needed to get done.  One project was a time study on the paint line.  This is another study where they need to check on the standard and see how it aligns with what is in the computer system.  I was put in charge of this time study and was able to complete this Wed. and Thurs.  On Friday I did some computing of the numbers I got from the paint line.  I figured averages for putting up, taking down, and painting the part.  I was also fortunate to sit in with one IT guys to see what they do.  He was working on updating the website and had troubleshoot some problems with some computers.  This really hit on the 21st century skills.

Week 5: How can your business (or others) be more involved in your classroom? What can you or your school do to engage students with the real world? What can the real world (our externship hosts) do to engage students in their world? 

On Wednesday afternoon I met with the CEO and the Plant Manager of Art's Way to ask them some questions about getting the school and the company connected.  One thing that I brought up was to have Eric or someone from the company to come to my class to talk.  They thought this was a great idea.  I know Eric can come in when were dealing with Excel because he works with it so much and can show the students some cool things that it can do.  During the meeting we discussed how this connection with the school is important because they feel that the students don't know what opportunities Art's Way can provide.  Students may not be familiar with all the jobs involved with Art's Way that does not include working on the floor.  We talked about maybe having a class tour that would show all the students the different parts of the building such as the IT department, engineers, and accounting department.  All of these areas involve math that is used daily.

No comments:

Post a Comment